Thursday 28 April 2011

Bumped Review


Bumped (Bumped, #1)
1.5 out of 5 stars

Title: Bumped
Author: Megan McCafferty
Published: April 2011
By:
Source: Netgalley

When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to bring Melody back to Goodside and convince her that “pregging” for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.



Opening line: I'm sixteen. Pregnant. And the most important person on the planet.

Closing line: But at this very moment, I feel like the most important person on the planet.

Favourite quote: "What is it with everyone questioning my spermhood?"

~Jondoe~

I think I may struggle with this review a little because I found the book hard to read.
Our main characters are twin sisters Melody and Harmony who until recently didn't know each other. Separated at birth Harmony has been raised in Goodside where everyone believes in God and Melody had been raised on the Otherside where she has been groomed to 'bump' for money.
They book synopsis above tells you everything about the plot line so I will just stick to my thoughts on this one!
I found it hard to keep up with the sisters in the beginning because of the similar names, I often found myself confused and rereading parts (and I'm in my late 20s). Each chapter jumps back and forth between the sisters and I found it difficult to develop a connection between the two, as well as with other characters in the book.
I found the futuristic language in the book so hard to understand at times and really couldn't grasp what what being said or what was going on. It had me thinking at times maybe I'm too old for this lingo and maybe younger readers will totally understand it and lap it up.
And then I found myself thinking of the content of the book. The book deals with some adult themes such as sex, youner-age sex, prostitution (girls are made to have sex), baby-buying and so on. I would find it difficult to sell this book to teenagers as in the UK our teen section starts at 13 and we don't have YA sections.
I'm also confused as to why/how this book is to be a series. I thought it ended well enough to be a stand alone book.

As always my reviews are my own opinions/thoughts about a book and in no way do I wish to discourage you from reading anything. What some people dislike others will love.

Thank you to Netgalley for this ebook edition.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater