Friday 11 March 2011

STARCROSSED Review


STARCROSSED
Josephine Angelini
June 2011

Opening Line: 'But if you bought me a car now, it would be yours when I go away to school in two years. Still practically new.'

Closing Line: Helen, beloved of the goddess of love, went downstairs to crawl into her empty bed as Lucas, the son of the sun, leaned back onto his elbows and watched his father-god brighten the bare wooden planks of her window's walk.

(I have two) Favourite Quote(s): ...'Anyway, geeks are the best. You're all so deliciously corruptible'...
~Claire~

'I only have so much willpower, Helen,' he whispered. 'And since you apparently sleep in the most ridiculously transparent tank top I've ever seen, I'm going to have to ask you to get under the covers before I do something stupid.'
~Lucas~

I LOVED IT, I LOVED IT, I LOVED IT!!!!

An amazing story that will pull you in from the start, send you on a roller-coaster ride and throw you out the other end more that satisfied!!! 

Helen Hamilton is the shy girl around town who lives with her father after her mother abandoned them. She spends most of her time just trying to blend into the crowed because if she even thinks she is becoming centre of attention she gets the strangest pains in her stomach. 
As she gets ready to start Junior year with best friend Claire, Helen discovers a new family has moved to town and several of the members will also be attending school. The Delos family is the talk of the town, but Helen is already fed up of hearing about them and couldn't really care less, that is until she sets eyes on Lucas Delos. Driven by a power and rage she doesn't understand Helen attacks Lucas with the intent to kill him in the middle of the crowded school corridor. Helen doesn't understand what is happening or why. Every time she sees a member of the Delos family she wants to kill them. And if that wasn't bad enough, each time she sees them a trio of blood crying sisters appear, which Helen later learns are The Furies. 
After being saved by the Delos family from being abducted one night, Helen has an encounter with Lucas that will change the fates forever.
Helen discovers that she is a descendant of the Greek Gods and she and the Delos family are part of an ancient blood-feud.

I loved this story! The only other thing I have read that contains Greek mythology is Percy Jackson and I enjoyed that and remember thinking I wish there were more books like it! And now my wishes have come true with STARCROSSED! I can't praise this book enough!!! I will admit, I don't know my Greek mythology as much as I would like but Angelini's take on the subject has me hooked more than ever before!

I really like the development of Helen's character as the story progresses, she goes form shy girl about town, to a kick ass heroine. I like how her relationships with friends old and new grow as she learns to accept herself.  I love Claire, the spunky best friend, who isn't afraid to say what she thinks and has total faith in Helen. The relationship between Helen and Lucas is very believable both 'before and after', you will see what I mean. And the secondary characters feel just as important as the main characters, and are written about with just as much love. Hector, Lucas' cousin really stands out for me, he's a bit of a bad-boy who just wants to protect his family. 
Many questions are posed throughout this story and although most are answered several have been left for 
 DREAMLESS, book 2. Which I need please :) Because I spent the last four or so chapters with my hand to my mouth! I have become obsessed with this story and still find myself wondering what is going to happen to the characters. 

Angelini's writing is truly beautiful and compelling.
Another 2011 debut author I'll be keeping both eyes on!!

5 of 5 Stars! Why? Because I was hooked from page 1 to page 514!!! I was constantly thinking about the characters when I wasn't reading and when I did read it was until way past midnight, as Mrs. Angelini knows!! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater