Tuesday 20 August 2013

Review ~ Awaken ~ Meg Cabot


Title: Awaken

Author: Meg Cabot

Published: July 2nd 2013

By: Scholastic Inc.

Source: netgalley

First line: In school they told us to follow the rules.

Last line: Blink.


So we reach the end (for now) of yet another series.  I've had quite a soft spot for this retelling of Persephone's life in the underworld and have particularly liked her counterpart John who has the darkest exterior and the squidgiest cuteness lurking underneath. But come to the end (for now) we must and I have to say I found Awaken as entertaining as it's two predecessors. 

Awaken picks up pretty much where Underworld left off.  Pierce is the queen of the underworld, John is still it's ruler both are back miles under the soil and this time they seemed to have ended up with an additional two companions - Pierce's cousin Alex who they found dead in a mausoleum and accidentally revived and Pierce's best friend who for all intents and purposes happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Happy families? A no, no, no! Because in Awaken, the lord of the dead ends up, well, dead, and it's up to Pierce to try to piece things back together and to get John back from wherever his body and soul have been banished to.  Believe me it's not a pretty journey...

I have to say I do enjoy the humour that flows through these books.  As ever I think it's the humorous parts that make the tragic parts seem more tragic and you get your fair share of both in Awaken. I think everything is pretty much tied up in this finale and you can walk away with a sense of closure and no questions that rattle you in the night.  As ever I loved John's character.  He's such a mix of good dark and I adore both sides of him equally. I was surprised by Alex who went from kid with a bit of a chip on his shoulder to kid who needs a slap but I guess that's what a near death experience does for you! Kayla was as solid as ever in playing the role of best friend and Pierce just seemed to have the world against her.  I was pleased to see her reaching her potential in the end, particularly as during the course of the book I did wonder if she'd get there.  I did also like Thanatos who brings a whole new level of baddie for the end of the series.

So this has been a series I've enjoyed.  Cabot did state at the end that the gate was always slightly open for a possible return in the future but that it would be a long way away. I wonder what could happen to Pierce and John during all that time. Oh the possibilities!!

4/5 Goodby Pierce and John it's been a blast! If you enjoyed the previous two instalments don't panic this read lives up to your expectations!







0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater