Friday 28 December 2012

Bungle's top 12 of 2012! Make that top 14!!



So when Sally told me she had a problem sticking to just 10 books I laughed thinking it would be easy, there are always books that stand out more than others. How wrong was I!?! It was so hard when I thought back to all the books that have come this year and I couldn't even stick to 12!!! I'm up to 14 but you will see why. Here in no order are my top 12/14 of 2012. Also is my stinker of the year, my biggest let down. Links will take you to goodreads and reviews where possible.


The Vincent Boys / The Vincent Brothers

The Vincent Brothers (The Vincent Boys, #2)The Vincent Boys (The Vincent Boys, #1)WOW!! These two YA books recently came on the scene for me via twitter. I saw a few people mention them and I wanted to see what the hype was all about and oh my!! I loved them both!!! These are what YA books are all about! I love the fact that Abbi Glines isn't afraid to show reads what being a 17/18 year old is really like. I urge you to read these if you haven't already. I want a Beau and Sawyer, I love both of them and Sawyer really comes into his own in book 2. I really enjoyed the story about these two boys and the leading ladies in their lives because it's the kins of story people can actually be living in the real world. Pick up the uncut versions of these two books now!! They are HOT HOT HOT!!! 


Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2)Days of Blood and Starlight


I really loved this book. Although it was a second book we found out so much information, which we needed to know and it's left me with so many questions! I can't wait for book 3 and just need to know what happens. I love Karou and I'm hoping things are going to work out. I'm hoping for world peace and for the angle and the devil to be together. Laini Taylor sure knows how to tell a story and she does so with beautiful language and exquisite detail.



 Skin Deep
Skin Deep
Skin Deep was a surprise read for me! I had it for so long as a proof and never got to it. The proof was just a plain black cover and I know we shouldn't judge but it obviously didn't grab my attention. However, I had to read this story for work a while back and I loved it! A book has never moved me to tears but Skin Deep came rather close just because of similarities in my own life. You can read my review here. It's the kind of book that makes you think, makes you truly realise that the choices we make dictate the life we lead. It's the kind of story that you should pay attention to, a story that will touch your heart and make you see things that little bit differently.


Sister Assassin (Sister Assassin, #1)Sister Assassin

Although not out until February 2013 I was fortunate enough to be sent a proof of Sister Assassin and I really enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of first person stories but with some books it's just needed and this is one of those books. Told by dual narratives from sisters Annie and Fia this is a story with a difference. I'm not going to lie, the book was a little confusing at time with going from past to present but once you are past that you really get stuck into the story. I didn't feel it was the kind of story that had be on the edge of my seat but it was a gripping read that had my attention from star to finish.
I look forward to reading more in this series.


Seeking Crystal
Seeking Crystal (Benedicts, #3)
Everyone knows I'm a big fan of the Benedict Brothers and Joss Stirling just keeps getting better and better with her story telling. I loved that with Seeking Crystal we got two for the price of one with 2 of the Benedict Brothers finding their Savant. I was so excited to see Xav get his book, I love him. Actually I think I love all the brothers, who doesn't!? Stirling does another fabulous job with Seeking Crystal and book 3 blew me away. I can't wait to read more from the Benedict Brothers. Read my review here.





SeraphinaSeraphina

This was another book I had to read for work, it's one I was really looking forward to, just the cover alone made me want to read the story. This is a story about dragons but with a difference. It's rich in detail and has a lot of political affairs running through it which I loved. I wouldn't say the book was a difficult read but it felt like there was a lot happening within the story but if you're the kind of reader that likes depth to their book then Seraphina is the book for you.





Dreamless
Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
When I came to review Dreamless my initial review was simply 'Heartbreakingly Beautiful'. When I came to try and write another review I didn't think I could have come up with any words to say how I felt about this beautiful story at the time and I still can't so I'm sticking with heartbreakingly beautiful, because that's what it is! It's the kind of book that has you up to the early hours of the morning, you just have to read one more chapter. I loved it and I can't wait for book 3!



  

Carnival of SoulsCarnival of Souls

Most of you may know by now that I'm rather a big fan of the Wicked Lovely series and I was so excited to hear about Melissa Marr's new YA series. Carnival of Souls was brilliant as far as I'm concerned. Marr has created a whole new world with some brilliant characters. The story does take a while to get into but not because the story is hard or boring but because we are introduced to so many things. Carnival of Souls is the start of another fantastic series by Melissa Marr, I can't wait to read more. See what I first thought here.




Until I Die (Revenants, #2)Until I Die

I love Amy's writing!! Although Until I Die is the 'middle book' we are kept on our toes with the introduction of some new characters who are not what they seem. Until I Die is the fantastic second book in Plum's enthralling trilogy. And not only does the story line get better Plum is growing as an author and I look forward to not only book three in the Revenant series but anything else she writes in the future too. Read my review here.





Night School (Night School, #1)Night School

I really enjoyed reading Night School. I was hooked from the first page and taken on a roller coaster of a ride. This is a story full of mystery, intrigue and it kept me reading until all hours of the night. The characters are exciting and engaging and you feel like you never really know whats coming. You can see what I thought here.






A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy, #1)
A Witch in Winter

I said in my review that A Witch in Winter is a British book, set in Britain by a talented new British author and one I will be keeping both eyes on!! It was a fab read with brilliant characters and fantastic secondary characters too which I think always makes a story so much better when strong characters are involved. I've book 2 waiting and I'm looking forward to seeing how this story develops. See what I thought here.




Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires, #12)
Last Breath (The Morganville Vampires, #11)Last Breath / Black Dawn

I can't include Last Breath without adding Black Dawn it's a two parter in a 15 book series! I won't lie, the Morganville series really dropped off in the middle for me and I became a little bored with some of the story lines but they sure did start to pick up again. Last Breath and Breaking Dawn give us the old style Morganville we came to love with a lot of goings on, marriages & deaths. If like me you became a little bored part way through the series I would encourage you to just keep reading! Read my review of Last Breath here and Black Dawn here.



Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Stinker of the year

Mockingjay was my biggest let down of the year was Mockingjay! I watched The Hunger Games then read the books. I rather enjoyed the first book but now I wonder if this was because I'd seen the film first. Catching Fire was only 50/50 and it wasn't until they were back in the games that I started to like book 2 but book 3 was annoying. It felt like someone else had written it, like there were mistakes in the plot and the book just frustrated me!





So that just about sums up my best and worst of 2012. I hope to discover just as many, if not more, exciting new reads next year.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

We are very thankful that you take the time to comment, we love to hear your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs Inspired by Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater